Senior Writer/Deputy Editor, University Affairs
University Affairs/Affaires universitaires has a rare opportunity for a talented, committed journalist to join its team for a 15-month temporary replacement opportunity as senior writer/deputy editor and play a central role in producing content that covers the Canadian university sector.
University Affairs/Affaires universitaires (UA/AU) is Canada’s most authoritative source of information about and for Canada’s university community. It delivers breaking news, provocative commentaries and in-depth articles online and in a print magazine that is published six times a year.
Published by Universities Canada – the organization that represents Canada’s universities at a national and international level – UA/AU has editorial autonomy.
As our next senior writer / deputy editor you will be responsible for:
- Initiating and developing story ideas for UA/AU including researching and writing features and news stories.
- Identifying issues and trends in higher education through contacts with universities, by cultivating sources, monitoring social media and following multiple sources of higher education news and information.
- Mastering complex issues in order to conduct interviews, often with senior level university and government officials.
- Attending and providing news coverage for AU/UA at press conferences, professional meetings and national conferences.
- Do substantive and copy editing of articles, and conduct fact-checking as required.
Your unique background will include:
- An insatiable curiosity, an ability to identify news trends and opportunities as well as a drive to cultivate sources and “get the story.”
- A desire to work as part of a team with the ability to juggle multiple tasks under deadline pressure.
- An ability to analyze, understand and report on issues and events in complex policy fields.
- A demonstrated ability to write feature-length articles (about 2,000 words), and shorter news items.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in journalism.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- An excellent knowledge of CP style.
- A university degree either in journalism or other field combined with journalism experience.
You will stand out if you:
- Have knowledge of the Canadian university sector.
- Are fully bilingual.
Sound like you?
Universities Canada is based in Ottawa, but the person in this position can be based anywhere in Canada for the duration of this 15-month contract. We are working remotely during COVID-19 and our office at 350 Albert Street (complete with gym membership, easy access to Parliament Hill and all that downtown Ottawa has to offer) will remain closed until June 2021 or beyond. We offer a rewarding mission and an engaged and supportive culture. We offer a comprehensive benefit package that includes four weeks of vacation, an attractive pension plan, group insurance and scholarships for employees’ children. The hiring salary range for this position is from $78,717 to $90,478 commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their curriculum vitae with a cover letter and three of their best writing samples to the human resources service, Universities Canada, 1710-350 Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 1B1 by April 14, 2021. Email address: email@example.com.
Universities Canada is a tier-one, national advocacy organization and a National Capital Region’s top employer. We represent the presidents of Canada’s universities—from Memorial to UBC.
To learn more about us, visit us at www.univcan.ca or find us on social media.
While all responses will be appreciated and handled in strictest confidence, only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
Universities Canada promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women, Aboriginal peoples and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions. Universities Canada provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.