Policy and Government Relations Officer
Universities Canada is the voice of Canadian universities, at home and abroad. We are a membership organization providing university presidents with a unified voice for higher education, research and innovation. Universities Canada advances the mission of our member institutions to transform lives, strengthen communities and find solutions to the most pressing challenges facing our world.
We are currently recruiting a policy and government relations officer who will master complex issues and communicate Universities Canada policies to a variety of audiences, including parliamentarians, federal officials, and other organizations with an interest in higher education. The incumbent will be proactive in developing networks in governments, member institutions, and other stakeholders and implementing strategies for communicating with them in support of Universities Canada advocacy efforts. The incumbent will also design, implement and manage a monitoring and issue identification program as well as conduct analyses and formulate policy alternatives on issues and legislation of concern to the association.
In order to advance Universities Canada’s advocacy agenda, the ideal candidate will be pro-active, responsive, nimble and collaborative, with proven success in gathering strategic information, as well as in developing and maintaining information sources in government.
If you are right for this opportunity, you will possess the education and experience listed below:
Education and experience
- A graduate degree in a related discipline.
- A minimum of two years of relevant experience.
- Prior experience working on Parliament Hill or within the federal government is an asset.
- Experience working in a university, national association and/or membership organization is an asset.
- Knowledge of current federal political and policy environment, including parliamentary procedures.
- Knowledge of tactics for advocating to government.
- Understanding of higher education, research and innovation issues and trends.
- Superior ability to plan, analyze trends and forecast activities.
- Demonstrated ability to gather strategic intelligence, and to develop and maintain information sources in government and universities.
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, in both official languages.
- Ability to understand and use data effectively.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to work under pressure while balancing competing priorities.
- Proven ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Strong computer skills, including prior experience working with CRM.
- High degree of judgment, discretion and insight.
The position is based in Ottawa. We expect that all employees will soon transition to a hybrid work model.
The hiring salary range for this position is from $70,814 to $84,092 depending on experience. Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an underfill capacity, in which case the candidate would be hired at a lower level than the position level.
Universities Canada is a National Capital Region Top Employer. We offer a comprehensive benefit package which includes four weeks of vacation, an attractive pension plan, group insurance, free gym membership and scholarships for children of our employees.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their curriculum vitae and a cover letter to the human resources service, Universities Canada, 1710-350 Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 1B1 by April 11, 2022. Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about us, visit us at www.univcan.ca or find us on social media.
While all responses will be appreciated and handled in strictest confidence, only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
Universities Canada promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women, Indigenous peoples and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions. Universities Canada provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Universities Canada respectfully acknowledges that our offices are situated on the traditional lands of the Algonquin Anishinaabeg people.