Universities Canada is the voice of Canadian universities, at home and abroad. We are a membership organization providing university presidents with a unified voice for higher education, research and innovation. Universities Canada advances the mission of our member institutions to transform lives, strengthen communities and find solutions to the most pressing challenges facing our world.
Reporting to the Design Lead, we are currently recruiting a designer to contribute to the development of creative, high quality visual content to support and enhance Universities Canada mandate and core priorities as well as the print and online editorial content of University Affairs/Affaires universitaires (UA/AU). The incumbent will also play a role in Universities Canada corporate communications by providing creative design services to support the association’s internal and external communication efforts and ensuring brand consistency on all publishing platforms.
If you are right for this opportunity, you will possess the education and experience listed below:
Education and Qualifications
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in graphic design.
- Two to three years of relevant work experience.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating experience in print design, website design and development, advertising, corporate identity and multimedia design.
- Create effective, creative and accessible visual design solutions for digital and print projects, maintaining brand consistency.
- Adhere to visual communications best practices and corporate brand standards across multiple campaigns and projects, including print and digital assets.
- Manage the design and use of corporate templates and standards.
- Offer guidance and collaborate with internal and external clients on appropriate visual design techniques and channels that align with their communication and project objectives.
- Manage the corporate photography, video and visual design asset filing system and library.
- Advanced proficiency with Mac OSX, Adobe Creative Suite, typography, colour theory, photo editing, composition and print production process including file preparation and production techniques.
- Knowledge of motion graphic and video editing software (Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects).
- Proficiency with using Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Good understanding of accessible design principles.
- Thorough understanding of responsive design, application design, and social media applications.
- Excellent knowledge of printing, production and pre-press practices.
- Experience with digital photography/videography, related equipment and techniques, an asset.
- Ability to translate client needs and expectations into original creative design concepts.
- Excellent creative and visual communications skills.
- Strong layout and typographic skills across a range of media and software.
- Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team, managing multiple design and production projects under fast-paced conditions, concurrent deadlines, and shifting priorities.
- Experience communicating effectively and respectably with clients about corporate brand standards.
- High level of computer proficiency and a solid understanding of general business, marketing and journalistic practices.
- Awareness of latest design and related industry trends, tools, and technologies.
- Bilingualism is a strong asset.
The position is based in Ottawa. Universities Canada has adopted a hybrid work model where employees are expected to work in the office a minimum of three (3) out of ten (10) days and four (4) days out of ten as of September 4, 2023.
The hiring salary range for this position is from $55,965 to $65,584 depending on experience. Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an underfill capacity, in which case the candidate would be hired at a lower level than the position level.
Universities Canada is a National Capital Region Top Employer. We offer a comprehensive benefit package which includes four weeks of vacation, an attractive pension plan, group insurance, free gym membership and scholarships for children of our employees.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their curriculum vitae, a cover letter and samples of your work to the human resources service, Universities Canada, 1710-350 Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 1B1 by July 3, 2023. Email address: email@example.com.
Candidates selected for an interview will be required to complete a portfolio review as part of the application process.
To learn more about us, visit us at www.univcan.ca or find us on social media.
While all responses will be appreciated and handled in strictest confidence, only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
Universities Canada promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women, Indigenous peoples and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions. Universities Canada provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Universities Canada respectfully acknowledges that our offices are situated on the traditional lands of the Algonquin Anishinaabeg people.