Universities Canada is the voice of Canadian universities, at home and abroad. We are a membership organization providing university presidents with a unified voice for higher education, research and innovation. Universities Canada advances the mission of our member institutions to transform lives, strengthen communities and find solutions to the most pressing challenges facing our world.
As payroll and benefits lead you will oversee and work closely with the coordinator to deliver payroll services and provide benefits administration support to Universities Canada employees and to our 30 outside organization payroll clients.
We’re looking for a team player, someone who is analytical and methodical and that can still flex your creative muscles while always being happy to roll up your sleeves and pitch in where help is needed. You will not be in this alone; you will draw on the strengths and expertise of our team as well as others throughout the organization who have contributed to the ongoing success as the voice for Canadian universities.
- Overseeing the payroll and benefits department (1 direct report).
- Administer and manage payroll for Universities Canada and our 30 outside organizations.
- Reconcile year-end payroll processes and reports; analyse requirements and completes T4s, T4A and Relevé 1s.
- Coordinate group insurance and benefits, enrolment, terminations, claims.
- Monthly financial reconciliation, reporting, and journal entries.
- Participate in year end audits.
- Participate as a permanent member of our retirement plan committee.
Education, experience and knowledge
- Undergraduate degree in a related field and three years of prior relevant experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Payroll compliance practitioner certification (PCP).
- Bilingualism is a strong asset, including English writing skills and verbal communication skills in both official languages.
- Deep knowledge of payroll process and employment regulations.
- Understanding of benefit administration processes.
- Knowledge of a payroll management system such as Dayforce.
- Prior experience working in a not-for-profit organization, an asset.
- You are a self starter, take initiative and have a “can do” attitude.
- You have a high degree of tact and strong interpersonal and customer relations skills.
- Comfort with numbers.
- Strong financial and accounting skills.
- Prior experience with month-end reconciliation, an asset.
- Ability to exercise discretion and professionalism in handling sensitive situations and maintaining confidentiality.
- Strong administrative, organizational and analytical skills.
The position is based in Ottawa. Universities Canada has adopted a hybrid work model where employees are expected to work in the office a minimum of three (3) out of ten (10) days and four (4) days out of ten as of September 4, 2023.
The hiring salary range for this position is from $69,680 to $79,635 depending on experience. Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an underfill capacity, in which case the candidate would be hired at a lower level than the position level.
Universities Canada is a National Capital Region Top Employer. We offer a comprehensive benefit package which includes four weeks of vacation, an attractive pension plan, group insurance, free gym membership and scholarships for children of our employees.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their curriculum vitae and a cover letter to the human resources service, Universities Canada, 1710-350 Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 1B1 by August 18, 2023. Email address: email@example.com.
To learn more about us, visit us at www.univcan.ca or find us on social media:
While all responses will be appreciated and handled in strictest confidence, only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
Universities Canada promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women, Indigenous peoples and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions. Universities Canada provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Universities Canada respectfully acknowledges that our offices are situated on the traditional lands of the Algonquin Anishinaabeg people.