Universities Canada is the voice of Canadian universities, at home and abroad. We are a membership organization providing university presidents with a unified voice for higher education, research and innovation. Universities Canada advances the mission of our member institutions to transform lives, strengthen communities and find solutions to the most pressing challenges facing our world.
We are currently recruiting a policy and government relations coordinator who will play an active role in supporting the team’s government relations efforts through media and parliamentary monitoring as well as conduct research and policy analysis on Universities Canada’s key issues. In addition, the incumbent will offer occasional administrative support to the team.
If you are right for this opportunity, you will possess the education and experience listed below:
Education and experience
- An undergraduate degree in public policy, social sciences or in a related discipline.
- A minimum of one to two years of relevant experience.
- Prior experience working on Parliament Hill or within the federal government is an asset.
- Experience working in a university, national association and/or membership organization is an asset.
- Understanding of the current federal political and policy environment, including parliamentary procedures.
- Familiarity of the university system and environment.
- Ability to research, analyse, understand and explain issues and events in policy fields, including an analysis of government budgets, policies and programs.
- Bilingualism essential including good English writing skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work under pressure while balancing competing priorities.
- Proven ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Strong computer skills, including prior experience working with CRM.
- High degree of judgment, discretion and insight.
The position is based in Ottawa. Universities Canada has adopted a hybrid work model where employees are expected to work in the office a minimum of two days per week.
The hiring salary range for this position is from $55,965 to $65,584 depending on experience. Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an underfill capacity, in which case the candidate would be hired at a lower level than the position level.
Universities Canada is a National Capital Region Top Employer. We offer a comprehensive benefit package which includes four weeks of vacation, an attractive pension plan, group insurance, free gym membership and scholarships for children of our employees.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their curriculum vitae and a cover letter to the human resources service, Universities Canada, 1710-350 Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 1B1 by September 3, 2023. Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about us, visit us at www.univcan.ca or find us on social media.
While all responses will be appreciated and handled in strictest confidence, only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
Universities Canada promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women, Indigenous peoples and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions. Universities Canada provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Universities Canada respectfully acknowledges that our offices are situated on the traditional lands of the Algonquin Anishinaabeg people.