Universities Canada is the voice of Canadian universities, at home and abroad. We are a membership organization providing university presidents with a unified voice for higher education, research and innovation. Universities Canada advances the mission of our member institutions to transform lives, strengthen communities and find solutions to the most pressing challenges facing our world.
We are currently recruiting a senior government relations officer who will master complex higher education issues and communicate Universities Canada policies to a variety of audiences, including parliamentarians, federal officials, and other organizations with an interest in higher education. The incumbent will be proactive in developing and maintaining networks in governments, member institutions, and other stakeholders and implementing strategies for communicating with them in support of Universities Canada advocacy effort.
In order to advance Universities Canada’s advocacy agenda, the ideal candidates will be pro-active, responsive, nimble and collaborative, with proven success in implementing engagement and outreach activities.
If you are right for this opportunity, you will possess the education and experience listed below:
Education and experience
- A graduate degree in a related discipline.
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience.
- Prior experience working on Parliament Hill or within the federal government .
- Experience working in a university, national association and/or membership organization is an asset.
- Knowledge of current federal political and policy environment, including parliamentary procedures.
- Knowledge of tactics for advocating to government.
- Understanding of international higher education, research and innovation issues and trends.
- Excellent ability in analyzing complex files and advancing related advocacy with various stakeholders
- Strong political acumen and networking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to gather strategic intelligence, and to develop and maintain information sources in government and universities.
- Exceptional English writing skills and verbal communications skills in both official languages.
- Strong project management and event planning skills.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to work independently towards set objectives within the team and collaboratively with other staff across the association.
- Ability to work under pressure while balancing competing priorities.
- High degree of judgment, discretion and insight.
The position is based in Ottawa. Universities Canada has adopted a hybrid work model where employees are expected to work in the office a minimum of three (3) out of ten (10) days.
The hiring salary range for this position is from $81,580 to $96,877 depending on experience. Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an underfill capacity, in which case the candidate would be hired at a lower level than the position level.
Universities Canada is a National Capital Region Top Employer. We offer a comprehensive benefit package which includes four weeks of vacation, an attractive pension plan, group insurance, free gym membership and scholarships for children of our employees.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their curriculum vitae and a cover letter to the human resources service, Universities Canada, 1710-350 Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 1B1 by XXX. Email address: email@example.com.
To learn more about us, visit us at www.univcan.ca or find us on social media.
While all responses will be appreciated and handled in strictest confidence, only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
Universities Canada promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women, Indigenous peoples and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions. Universities Canada provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Universities Canada respectfully acknowledges that our offices are situated on the traditional lands of the Algonquin Anishinaabeg people.