University of Manitoba | Agroalimentaire et agriculture
National Centre for Livestock and the Environment conducts research on furthering the long-term economic and environmental sustainability of integrated livestock and crop production systems.
Richardson Centre for Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals conducts research for the improvement of health and nutrition and promotion of an economically viable industry.
Canadian Wheat Board Centre for Grain Storage Research is a 1,340 square metre, state-of- the-art facility commissioned in November, 2005 for the purpose of doing research into all aspects of grain storing, drying, handling and quality monitoring.
Examination of the environmental and economic value of forage and grassland in Manitoba: Establishing the Multi-Functional Value of Manitoba Grasslands a project to follow a whole-system approach, to developing management strategies for forages and grasslands. Assessing the multifunctional value of Manitoba grass land areas and assess and compare the economic and environmental sustainability of conventional and alternative forage-based cattle production systems.
- Annemieke Farenhorst, Prairie NSERC Chair for Women in Science and Engineering. Research focuses on the fate of pesticides, natural steroid estrogens and antibiotics in soil and water, and on community engagement in water resource management.
- Trust Beta, Canada Research Chair. Research focuses on unravelling the chemical and biological action of health-promoting phytochemicals (plant-derived compounds with therapeutic activities) in whole grains.
- Digvir Jayas, Distinguished Professor, Biosystems Engineering, former Canada Research Chair in Stored-Grain Ecosystems. He conducts research related to drying, handling and storing grains and oilseeds and digital image processing for grading and processing operations in the Agri-Food industry.
- Robert Duncan, Assistant Professor, Plant Science. Research focuses on identifying and improving canola’s protein content and quality. This could boost the crop’s utility to producers and position it solidly in the highly competitive and growing plant-based protein market. Awarded 2017 Terry G Falconer Memorial Rh Institute Foundation Emerging Researcher Award.
Special programs and work integrated learning initiatives
−Man-U-Lab works to liaise industry companies with University expertise, completed over 50 fee-for-service contracts with industry since its inception. The RCFFN infrastructure allows for pilot-scale product processing in its Pilot Plant as well as analytical capabilities via our well-equipped Analytical Lab.
- Canola Council of Canada
- Pulse Growers of Canada
- Canadian Pork Council
- Canadian Poultry Research Council
- Dairy Farmers of Manitoba
- Manitoba Beef Producers
- Manitoba Chicken Producers
- Manitoba Egg Farmers
- Manitoba Pork Council
- OPI Systems Inc.