University of Victoria | Technologies propres
Institute for Integrated Energy Systems (IESVic), is a Canadian leader in promoting and developing creative energy alternatives through original research.
The Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium (PCIC) provides science based information on the impacts of climate change and variability for use in ecology, hydrology, community planning and other policy areas.
Environment Canada’s Canadian Centre for Climate Modelling and Analysis (CCCma) a flagship, internationally recognized climate-modelling laboratory,
Water and Climate Impacts Research Centre (W-CIRC), specializes in hydro-climatology and hydrologic and ecological impacts of atmospheric change and variability, particularly in the Canadian Arctic.
West Coast Wave Initiative (WCWI): $2.5M program funded by NRC, PICS, NSERC and several private sector partners. Purpose is establish a foundation of resource knowledge, community engagement and technical know-how that can be used by his partners in future demonstrations of wave energy conversion in British Columbia.
Pacific Regional Institute for Marine Energy Discovery (PRIMED): $1.4M from Western Economic Diversification Canada. The institute supports the adoption of alternative technologies in remote coastal communities that currently rely on diesel fuel generators to meet their energy needs.
- Brad Buckham (Director, West Coast Wave Initiative) designs and operating strategies for offshore technologies using computer simulations; remotely operated vehicles (ROVs); moored wave energy converters (WECs)
- Curran Crawford: optimization of wind and tidal turbines, including aerodynamics, structures, acoustics and control; aerospace and multidisciplinary design optimization techniques; renewable energy systems modeling; Plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs); sustainable energy systems
- Zuomin Dong: computational design and global design optimization tools; green vehicles with hybrid powertrain and fuel cell system; multiple axis CNC machining of curved surfaces; applications of optimization and intelligent systems
Special programs and work integrated learning initiatives
Cooperative education is a core component of the programs offered through the Faculty of Engineering. Sample placements include working with Ballard Power, a leading global provider of innovative clean energy and fuel cell systems.
- Axys Technologies Inc.
- Ocean Energy USA
- Carnegie Wave Energy
- Triple X Energy Inc.
- Orsted Wind Power North America
- Pani Energy Inc.
- Ballard Power Systems Inc.
- Mercedes-Benz Canada
- Automotive Partnership Canada
- Boost Energy Systems Ltd.
- General Motors