Innovative North-South partnerships
In an effort to identify and facilitate innovation within the context of North-South university partnerships, this study was conducted by the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada to identify common characteristics amongst Canadian universities pursuing new ways of partnering in development. The report demonstrates the innovative ways in which universities develop, maintain and strengthen their North-South partnerships. It aims to be a useful tool for universities and other higher education stakeholders looking to deepen their knowledge and understanding of a new type of collaborative approach that constitutes a departure from more traditional styles of development activities.
This document features:
- The characteristics and practices of successful innovative North-South university partnerships
- Implementation challenges
- Recommendations and next steps, addressed to funders, participating universities and faculty members
Six case studies of successful Canadian-Southern university partnerships
- Supporting South Africa’s economic development through university-industry linkages for wood for wood processing education
- Strengthening child health in rural Uganda
- Three universities partner to deliver a course on gender-based violence in higher education
- Learning together to promote citizen-led development
- Building environmental governance capacity in Bangladesh
- Ecominga Amazónica – Community ecodevelopment and environmental health in Bolivia
The case studies were selected by the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada in consultation with an advisory group comprised of International Liaison Officers and a consultant, Ms. Denise Beaulieu, PhD.
The association carried out this study as part of a partnership with the International Development Research Centre, in which it conducts research and policy dialogue activities to share good practice with international development and education practitioners.
Related: See report on 2012 Symposium on New Models of North-South Partnerships
Tagged: Global connections