In addition to institutional quality assurance processes of the institution, some academic programs in professional fields are subject to accreditation by professional bodies at the provincial, Canadian or international levels (for example, in the fields of nursing, architecture and engineering).
Professional bodies review programs to ensure that the content of university programs, teaching resources and research outputs are of consistently high quality to meet competency expectations and to support future professionals in their area of expertise.
Below are links to bodies that accredit professional programs at Canadian universities. Please note that this list is for information purposes only and is not exhaustive.
Some programs are also accredited on a voluntary basis (for example, business).
Note: There also exist organizations responsible for the licensing of individual practitioners following graduation from professional programs at Canadian universities. These organizations are not listed here. The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC) offers additional information on professional program accreditation and professional licensing.
Administration, business, commerce, tourism
- Association of MBAs
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs
- Human Resources Professionals Association of Ontario
- Project Management Institute
- Institut québécois de planification financière
- Association of University Programs Health Administration
- Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education
- Institute of Hospitality
- World Tourism Organization
- Canadian Association of Programs in Public Administration
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association
- Ordre professionnel des conseillers et conseillères d’orientation et des psychoéducateurs et psychoéducatrices du Québec French only
- Teacher Regulation Branch: Government of British Colombia
- Canadian Association for Co-operative Education (Accreditation Council)
- Ontario College of Teachers (Accreditation Committee)
- Comité d’agrément des programmes de formation à l’enseignement
Library and information studies
- Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada (CME/CPD Offices)
- Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada (Medical Education Programs)
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
- Collège des médecins du Québec
- College of Family Physicians of Canada and Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Canadian Medical Association
- Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists
- Canadian Athletic Therapists Association
- Canadian Interprofessional Health Collaborative
- Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada
- American Optometric Association (Accreditation Council on Optometric Education)
- Canadian Council of University Physical Education and Kinesiology Administrators
- National Recreation and Parks Association/American Association for Leisure and Recreation
- Council for Accreditation of Canadian University Programs in Audiology and Speech-language Pathology