Lakehead University | Health & Biosciences
Centre for Education and Research on Aging and Health advances health and social care for an aging population, and promotes the health and well-being of older people. https://cerah.lakeheadu.ca/
Centre for Research on Safe Driving contributes to the reduction of traffic-related crashes through an understanding of the fundamental processes that support safe driving and development of optimal interventions. https://crsd.lakeheadu.ca/
Centre for Rural and Northern Health Research studies issues related to the delivery of health care in rural and Northern Ontario and provides evidence-based assessments for provincial programs and policies. https://www.lakeheadu.ca/research-and-innovation/facilities-centres/rural-northern-health
Dr. Alla Reznik, (Physics and TBRHRI), CIHR-NSERC Collaborative Health Research Project Grant worth a total of $498,000: Practical implementation of real-time low-dose x-ray imaging.
Dr. Chris Mushquash, (Psychology), Engagement Workplan: Northern Centre of Excellence for Addictions and Mental Health. Purpose of grant: $300,000 in funding from Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care for a series of discussions with regional stakeholders to discuss feasibility of establishing a Centre of Excellence for Addictions and Mental Health.
Dr. Alla Reznik, (Physics and TBRHRI), Solid State Technology for New Generation Portable Positron Emission Mammography (PEM) Device – with partner Philips Health Care, $450,000 awarded by the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.
- Dr. Alla Reznik, CRC in the Physics of Molecular Imaging, Department of Physics, Thunder Bay Regional Health Research Institute (TBRHRI). Her research involves developing technology for positron emission tomography imaging in early cancer diagnosis.
- Dr. Christopher Mushquash, CRC in Indigenous Mental Health and Addiction, Department of Psychology. Dr. Mushquash conducts research in Indigenous mental health and addiction; Indigenous health.
- Dr. Mitchell Albert, Lakehead University – TBRHRI Chair in Molecular Imaging and Advanced Diagnostics, Department of Chemistry, TBRHRI. Dr. Albert’s primary research focus is on applying HP helium-3 and HP xenon-129 MRI to image ventilation function in the airways and alveoli of the lungs.
- Dr. Vicki Kristman, CIHR New Investigator, Department of Health Sciences. Dr. Kristman’s research focuses on Epidemiology of musculoskeletal and brain injury; Work disability prevention; Occupational health epidemiology
Special programs and work integrated learning initiatives
- Training Health Clinic – Goal of opening a training clinic on Lakehead University’s Thunder Bay campus to train students in patient care.
- Ingenuity – Designated space for the promotion of student innovation and entrepreneurial skills in the new Centre for Advanced Studies in Engineering and Sciences (CASES) building on the Thunder Bay campus.
- Learning Essential Approaches to Palliative Care (LEAP) – Over $2.4 million provided by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to enhance the overall capacity of First Nations communities to provide palliative care in their own communities.
- Radialis Medical
- Weinberg Medical Physics