McMaster University | Artificial Intelligence
Institute for Multi-hazard Systemic Risk Studies: Multi-disciplinary team focused on systemic risk assessment, analysis, and management under multiple and interacting hazards within the built and natural environment systems across the globe. https://interface.mcmaster.ca/services/
Turning big data into smarter systems: Dr. Fei Chiang is working with IBM to improve data quality at large institutions to reduce financial and operational losses.
Improving Healthcare: Dr. Jim Reilly is collaborating with clinicians, such as Dr. Gary Hasey to use machine learning to predict coma recovery, and improve magnetic shock therapy for patients with major depression.
Intelligent Vehicles: Dr. Thia Kirubarajan is using machine learning to increase the safety of driven and autonomous vehicles, and create intelligent transportation networks.
Detecting Weapons: Dr. Natalia Nikolova is using machine learning and neural networks together with radar signals to detect weapons.
- Dr. Thia Kirubarajan, Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering. Research: Target tracking, information fusion, signal processing.
- Dr. Jim Reilly, Professor, Electrical & Computer Engineering. Research: machine learning and signal processing applied to neuroscience and psychiatry.
- Dr. David Harris Smith, Associate Professor, Communication Studies. Research: augmented reality, assistive media, biometric interfaces.
- Dr. Natalia Nikolova, Canada Research Chair in High-Frequency Electromagnetics. Research: Microwave imaging, computational electromagnetism, antennas
- Dr. Fei Chiang, Assistant Professor, Computing and Software. Research: Data management (information extraction, quality, cleaning, analytics, and privacy), collaborating with health care, finance, social science, and consulting industries
- Dr. Wael El-Dakhakhni, Professor and Martini, Mascarin, and George Chair in Masonry Design, Civil Engineering. Research: Translating the knowledge pertaining to multi-hazard and network-level vulnerability to usable information.
Special programs and work integrated learning initiatives
- McMaster Co-Op – McMaster offers students and employers 4, 8, 12 and 16 months co-op placement opportunities. Each year McMaster has 200 students placed from the following programs: Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, and Bachelors of Technology.
- Patriot One
- General Dynamics
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA)