McMaster University | Mobility Systems
McMaster Automotive Resource Centre (MARC): is one of the largest transportation electrification research programs in North America working to resolve the issues facing the automotive industry with co-located facilities, such as the Centre for Mechatronics and Hybrid Technologies, Centre for Automotive Materials and Corrosion and Initiative for Automotive Manufacturing Innovation. https://mcmasterinnovationpark.ca/marc
Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research (BIMR): operates sophisticated infrastructure for the production and advanced characterization of materials, including the Canadian Centre for Electron Microscopy (CCEM). http://www.bimr.ca/
NSERC Automotive Partnership Canada – Leadership in Automotive Powertrain (APC-LEAP): Led by Dr. Ali Emadi, this industry partner collaborative project focuses on the development of next generation hybrid-electric drivetrains for vehicles.
Canada Excellence Research Chair (CERC) in Hybrid Powertrain: Led by Dr. Ali Emadi, this world-leading academic research program in transportation electrification focused on pioneering sustainable energy-efficient solutions for electric, hybrid electric, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles.
NSERC/Ford Industrial Research Chair (IRC): Led by Dr. Saeid Habibi, this program considers model-based strategies for testing and performance analysis of components and sub-systems in hybrid powertrains for vehicle diagnostics.
- Dr. Ali Emadi, Professor, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering; CERC in Hybrid Powertrain. Research focuses motor, powertrain, and energy storage systems for electric, hybrid and smart or autonomous vehicles.
- Dr. Saeid Habibi, Department of Mechanical Engineering; NSERC/Ford Canada IRC in HEV Powertrain Diagnostics. Research focuses on mechatronics for automotive tracking and control, fault diagnostics, fluid power and hydraulics.
- Dr. Mark Lawford, Professor, Department of Computing and Software. Research focuses on formal development of embedded systems and software certification.
- Dr. Joseph McDermid, Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering; NSERC/US Steel Canada Senior IRC in Advanced Coated Steels. Research focuses on metal forming and corrosion.
Special programs and work integrated learning initiatives
- EcoCar 3 is North America’s premier collegiate-level automotive engineering competition in which student teams explore sustainable transportation solutions by re-engineering a Chevrolet Camaro into a hybrid-electric vehicle while maintaining performance. http://ecocar3.org/mcmaster/about-us/
- NSERC CREATE in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Powertrain is a career-oriented research and training program for graduate students and post-doctoral fellows working on disruptive alternative technologies to fossil fuels in the automotive sector. http://hevpdd.ca/nserc-hevpdd-create/
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA)
- Ford Motor Company of Canada Ltd.
- General Motors of Canada Ltd.
- Sevcon Canada Inc.
- Toyota InfoTechnology Center, U.S.A., Inc.