University-industry research partnerships
Return to list
University of Alberta | Health & Biosciences
- Albert Cell Therapy Manufacturing: GMP cell therapy production facility. Only such facility in Western Canada & only 1 of 5 in Canada.
- Metabolomics Innovation Centre: faster, more quantitative & comprehensive metabolomic services than other North American facilities. Serves medical, food processing, agricultural & environmental testing markets. Resources accessed about 15 million times/year by users in over 120 countries.
- Alberta Diabetes Institute: 65 experts in multiple fields (e.g., cell biology, epidemiology, nutrition, indigenous health) tackling diabtes prevention, treatment & cure.
- Alberta Glycomics Centre: biology, chemistry, medicine & engineering experts working in carbohydrate synthesis, protein-carbohydrate interactions, glycoengineering, drug discovery, vaccine development & mass spectrometry.
- Stroke Ambulance: 1st in world to provide stroke patient care beyond major urban centre limits. Goes to patient, instead of waiting for patient to come to stroke centre.
- Gamma Knife: non invasive brain surgery; safest & most effective care for many brain conditions. Only one of its kind in western Canada & 2nd in Canada.
- National High Field Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Centre (NANUC): home to one of Canada’s largest & most sophisticated research magnet (spectrometer).
- Telestroke Program: giving stroke patients in remote areas 24/7 access to UAlberta stroke experts to reduce stroke effects. Videoconferencing connects doctors & patients, enabling life-saving diagnoses/decisions.
- GlycoNet: NCE with over 110 researchers at 28 CDN institutions. Tackling antimicrobials, genetic diseases, diabetes, obesity, chronic disease, therapeutic proteins & vaccines with glycomics research.
- Canadian Obesity Network: National network of over 10,000 obesity researchers, health professionals & other stakeholders focused on evidence-based approaches for obesity prevention, treatment & policy.
Innovations or spin-offs
- Molecular You
- Belgravia Tech
- Maternica Therapeutics
- Afexa Life Sciences
- Biomech Designs
- Meros Polymers
- KMT Hepatech
- ImMed Biotechnologies
- Animal Inframetrics
- IsoBrine Solutions
- NAEJA Pharmaceutical
- Omx Personal Health Analytics
- Health: cancer, precision health, cardiology, stroke, obesity, neurology, stroke, diabetes, microbiome, cell therapies, IBD, nutrition, aging, speech disorders, drug discovery & delivery, rehabilitation, functional foods, prions, mental health, health law, ethics & policy, reconstructive sciences, nutraceuticals, biostatistics, toxicology, environmental health, global health, chronic diseases, healthcare delivery, diagnostics, dementia health promotion, motor/sensory systems, bariatrics, health psychology, exercise physiology, biomedical informatics, imaging. Researchers include: Ayra Sharma, Jason Dyck, Lynn Postovit, Ken Butcher, Jason Acker, Greg Korbutt, Peter Light, Carla Prado, Greg Goss, Val Carson, Jens Walter, Thomas Jeerakathil, Darren Freed, Chris Le, William Shotyk, Mike Doschak, Candace Nykiforuk, Cameron Wild, Yutaka Yasui, Irina Dinu, Nick Ashbolt, Kate Story, Tim Caulfield, Afsaneh Lavasanifar, Dean Eurich, John Lewis, Richard Fedorak, Kelvin Jones, Janet Fast, Ubaka Ogbogu, Valerie Sim, David Westaway, Kerry Courneya, Tanya Berry, Normand Boulé, Carole Estabrooks, Geoff Ball, Mary Forhan, Erin Nelson, Russ Greiner, Osmar Zaïane, Pierre Boulanger, Michael Chu, Ing Swie Goping, Michael Overduin, Fred Colbourne, Janet Elliott, Jana Rieger.
- OMICs: metabolomics, genomics, virus genomics, proteomics, transcriptomics. Researchers include: Phil Halloran, David Wishart, Ryan McKay, Liang Li, Christopher Cairo, George Owttrim, Tim Caulfield, Heather Bruce, Ben Willing, Michael Dyck, Carolyn Fitzsimmons, Gane Wong, David Coltman, Graham Plastow.
- Virology & infectious disease: Hepatitis B&C, Zika, West Nile, oncolytic viruses, malaria, dengue & yellow fever, HIV, poxviruses, influenza, rubella. Researchers include: David Evans, Luis Schang, Michael Houghton, Hyo-Jick Choi, Tom Hobman, Maya Shmulevitz, Lorne Tyrrell, Stephanie Yanow,
- Transplantation: Lori West, Norman Kneteman, Jayan Nagendran, Janet Elliott, Greg Korbutt, Stella Mathews, Phil Halloran, Tim Caulfield, Blake Murdoch, James Shapiro.
- HealthTech/BioTech: bio/tissue engineering, bio-implants, 3D organ printing, regenerative medicine, nanomaterials, drug/gene delivery, adaptive, smart devices & biomedical devices, point of care diagnostics, inhaled pharmaceutical aerosols, metabolomic sensors, biomaterials, robotics. Researchers include: Rob Burrell, John Lewis, Patrick Pilarski, Jacqueline Hebert, Jie Chen, Warren Finlay, Larry Unsworth, Hasan Uludag, Adetola Adesida, Stella Mathews, Vivian Mushahwar, John Nychka.
- TELUS Health
- Gilead Sciences
- Allergan Canada
- Bristol Myers Squibb
- Jenny Craig
- Alexion Pharmaceuticals
- Johnson & Johnson
- Novo Nordisk
- Boehringer Ingelheim