University-industry research partnerships
University of Waterloo | Artificial Intelligence
Waterloo Artificial Intelligence Institute conducts research on fundamental and applied AI across the Faculties of Mathematics and of Engineering. Waterloo.ai is a portal for organizations to access extensive expertise. It brings together ~100 faculty members to tackle problems brought to them by partners in business, government and the non-profit sector. It has 27 affiliated University of Waterloo research centres and research labs.
Vision and Image Processing Lab conducts research on visual processes and finding solutions for outstanding problems in image and video processing and intelligent systems.
Borealis AI, an RBC Institute for Research, is working with Dr. Pascal Poupart to build a Waterloo-based Borealis AI team dedicated to achieving state-of-the-art in machine learning. Much of Dr. Poupart’s research has focussed on real-world applications of AI.
Amazon awarded funding through the Amazon Research Awards to Dr. Olga Vechtomova to pursue research on the use of AI to analyze customer product review. Dr. Vechtomova is the sole Canadian granted funding through this Amazon research program.
Supported by CFI, Waterloo’s $4.5M RoboHub will provide the only multi-robot test facility in the world with autonomous ground, aerial, humanoid and magnetically levitated platforms under one roof. Bayesian learning models will enable state estimation for localization and autonomous mapping (SLAM) of intelligent mobile robotics agents and UAVs to enable navigation in unstructured environments.
- Fakhri Karray. Loblaw Chair in Artificial Intelligence, Co-Director of the University of Waterloo Artificial Intelligence Institute, Director of the Centre for Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. Research focuses on operational AI.
- Peter van Beek. Co-Director of the University of Waterloo Artificial Intelligence Institute. Research focuses on fundamental AI.
- Alex Wong. CRC in Medical Imaging Systems, Co-Director of the Vision and Image Processing Research Group. Research focuses on imaging, image processing, computer vision, pattern recognition, and cognitive radio networks, with a focus on the hardware-software design of integrative medical imaging systems, and biomedical and remote sensing image processing and analysis.
Special programs and work integrated learning initiatives
- Global Entrepreneurship & Disruptive Innovation (GEDI)
- Corporate Research Partnerships Managers
- Co-operative education
- Inventor-owned IP policy
- Waterloo Commercialization Office
- University of Waterloo Velocity
- Borealis AI (RBC Institute for Research)