University-industry research partnerships
University of Windsor | Mobility Systems
CHARGE Lab conducts research and development on electric motors and drives, EV charging systems, EV simulation and vehicle powertrain architecture.
Clean Combustion Engine Research Laboratory (CCEL) conducts research on sustainable heat engine development in order to improve the engine combustion process and reduce pollutant emissions.
Institute for Diagnostic Imaging Research (IDIR) has developed novel cold spraying techniques and a method to instantly inspect resistance spot welded joints for the auto sector.
Cross-Border Institute (CBI) is a leading centre for research on cross-border supply chains and transportation.
Powertrain Components and Systems for Next Generation Electric Vehicles led by Dr. Narayan Kar aims to improve the automobile’s fuel economy and overall performance through advanced powertrain components and energy storage research in collaboration with Magna, Ford and D&V Electronics.
Methyl Ether Engine Research for Ultraclean Combustion under Efficient Injection and Ignition Control led by Dr. Ming Zheng in collaboration with Ford is developing clean fuels. The research project focuses on the systematic investigation and assessment of the feasibility of methyl ethers as alternative fuels in diesel engines.
Connected/Autonomous Vehicle Infrastructure Integration is a joint effort by the City of Windsor and UWindsor to host the Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Network Southwestern Ontario Regional Technology Development Site.
- Dr. Narayan Kar, Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in Electrified Transportation Systems, is addressing the most challenging obstacles for electrified vehicle technologies to make significant improvements in cost, drivability, emissions, fuel economy and performance.
- Dr. Ming Zheng, NSERC/Ford Industrial Research Chair in Clean Combustion Engine Innovations aims to improve the understanding of the fuel air mixing, ignition, and burn-up, and to improve the fuel efficiency under ultraclean combustion including the use of renewable and sustainable fuels.
- Dr. Mitra Mirhassani, Associate Professor, has expertise in the area of hardware security. Her research involves developing innovative cybersecurity systems as they relate to the autonomous and connected vehicles.
- Dr. Jeff Defoe, Assistant Professor, is using combined numerical & experimental approaches to gain insight into key physical mechanisms governing turbomachines & general fluid flow behavior.
Special programs and work integrated learning initiatives
- Joint International Degree Program in Automotive Engineering: The first of its kind joint degree agreement has graduate students from the University of Windsor and Politecnico Di Torino participate in a two-year program working on cutting edge research and development projects with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.
- EPICentre: Dedicated hub for entrepreneurial activities on campus. Students benefit from in-class education, to extra-curricular events and activities, with the opportunity to start and grow a business with all of the resources required to successfully do so.
- Ford Motor Company of Canada
- Fiat Chrysler Canada
- General Motors Canada
- D&V Electronics
- Bombardier Aerospace
- Pratt & Whitney
- Magna International
- IBM Canada