Return to list
Western University | Advanced Manufacturing
- Surface Science Western is Canada’s most comprehensive surface analysis laboratory, analysing and characterising surfaces and materials.
- Nano+Energy@Western provides the scientific basis for large-scale production of highly tailored nanotube-based materials for applications in fuel cells, batteries and sensing technologies.
- Nanofabrication Laboratory fosters, supports and sustains advanced research in biotechnology and nanotechnology in a wide range of disciplines.
- Fraunhofer Project Centre @ Western (industry partnership) develops, tests, validates and characterizes new lightweight materials at industrial scale.
- Centre for Advanced Biomedical Device Design and Fabrication (Canada Foundation for Innovation) houses Canada’s first high-resolution 3D metal printer with capacity to print patient-specific metal components based on 3D imaging data.
- Advanced Manufacturing Consortium is a partnership between Western, McMaster and Waterloo to lead advanced manufacturing initiatives across the Ontario.
- Andrew Hrymak, Dean, Faculty of Engineering; Deputy Director, Fraunhofer Project Centre, specializes in complex rheology, filled polymer systems and polymer processing simulation.
- Jeffrey Wood, Professor, Department of Mechanical & Materials Engineering, leads research related to physical metallurgy and materials selection in engineering design.
- David Shoesmith, NSERC/Nuclear Waste Management Organization Industrial Research Chair, uses electrochemistry and corrosion science to investigate various industrial corrosion and environmental corrosion processes.
Special programs and work integrated learning initiatives
- International Composites Research Centre leverages the Fraunhofer Project Centre to provide a collaborative, multidisciplinary environment for fundamental and applied research in the manufacturing and application of polymer composites.
- Western’s Network for Industry 4.0 is an initiative that integrates expertise in the faculties of Science, Engineering and Ivey Business School.
- Dieffenbacher North America Ltd.
- General Motors of Canada
- Ford Motor Company