Return to list
Western University | Clean Technology
- Institute for Chemicals & Fuels from Alternative Resources (ICFAR) is a research and development centre creating next-generation biofuels and chemicals from biomass.
- Surface Science Western is Canada’s most comprehensive surface analysis laboratory, analysing and characterising surfaces and materials.
- Particle Technology Research Centre conducts research on powder technology, which includes high-surface-quality powder paints.
- WindEEE Institute (Canada Foundation for Innovation) is the world’s most advanced experimental facility for studying wind. Used to design wind turbines, wind farms and sustainable cities.
- Biotron Experimental Climate Change Research Facility (Canada Foundation for Innovation), facilitates a range of clean technology research initiatives related to air, soil and water.
- Fraunhofer Project Centre @ Western (Joint venture) develops, tests, validates and characterizes new lightweight materials at industrial scale.
- Xueliang (Andy) Sun, Canada Research Chair in Nanostructured Materials for Energy Storage and Conversion, is developing nanotechnology and nanomaterials to develop fuel cells and lithium batteries better able to generate, store and conserve energy.
- Clare Robinson, Canada Research Chair in Water Quality, is developing assessment tools that can be used to manage and mitigate pollution sources that are contaminating coastal waters.
- David Shoesmith, NSERC/Nuclear Waste Management Organization Industrial Research Chair, uses electrochemistry and corrosion science to investigate various industrial corrosion and environmental corrosion processes.
Special programs and work integrated learning initiatives
- Centre for Environment & Sustainability fosters interdisciplinary teaching and learning to understand complex environmental and societal interactions, while developing innovation and collaboration between industry, government, academics and communities.
- Dieffenbacher North America Ltd.
- Hydro One
- General Motors of Canada
- Ford Motor Company
- The Nuclear Waste Management Organization
- BASF Canada Ltd.