Return to list
Western University | Health & Biosciences
- Brain and Mind Institute, working closely with the Centre for Functional Metabolic Mapping, is home to world leaders mapping the brain and conducting related advanced neuroscience-based studies.
- Bone & Joint Institute takes a transdisciplinary approach to improving understanding of, and developing novel therapies for, debilitating bone and joint disorders to maintain lifelong mobility.
- National Centre for Audiology is a world-class, interdisciplinary centre of excellence in audiology research, teaching and clinical science, offering the largest such programs in Canada.
- BrainsCAN (Canada First Research Excellence Fund) is looking to radically transform our understanding of brain disorders and deliver effective solutions to the grand challenge of maintaining brain function across the lifespan.
- The province of Ontario has supported the National Centre for Audiology’s project for New Technologies for Hearing Assessment and Treatment.
- Lisa Saksida, Canada Research Chair in Translational Neuroscience, uses molecular and cognitive assessment tools to develop an understanding of how impairments in cognition can be related to dysfunction of underlying brain circuits.
- Eric Arts, Canada Research Chair in HIV Pathogenesis and Viral Control, is evaluating infecting HIV strains for pathogenesis, drug resistance and immune invasion.
- David Holdsworth, Dr. Sandy Kirkley Chair in Musculoskeletal Research, is developing new techniques to image the interface between bones and metal implants, and to improve techniques for radiostereometric analysis following joint replacement.
Special programs and work integrated learning initiatives
- International Composites Research Centre leverages the Fraunhofer Project Centre to provide a collaborative, multidisciplinary environment for fundamental and applied research in the manufacturing and application of polymer composites.
- Western’s Network for Industry 4.0 is an initiative that integrates expertise in the faculties of Science, Engineering and Ivey Business School.